Guest Post, Viktor Khliupko
The importance of cryptocurrency is hard to overestimate, and since it is growing continuously, the urgent need to add new payment options to popular e-commerce services is increasing in direct ratio. Therefore, the community of enthusiasts develops such tools as Magento 2 ShapeShift extension by Firebear. Below, we shed light on core aspects of the popular e-commerce platform as well as describe the Magento 2 module - a free solution that provides the ability to use ShapeShift on Magento 2 websites.
So, what is Magento? If you haven’t heard about the platform, it’s a leading e-commerce solution according to the 2017 Internet Retailer Top 1000, Europe 500, and B2B 300 lists. World’s biggest brands across both B2C and B2B markets are using the platform to provide the most convenient shopping experience to their customers. Besides, they get a very user-friendly resource management tools for literally every aspect of e-commerce business. As a result, the open source and agile platform includes over 250k merchants, 150k developers, 300 solution partners, and millions of customers all over the globe.
And of course, the Magento ecosystem offers the highest diversity of third-party extensions, modules, and plugins designed to enhance all existing features of the platform, add new functionality, as well as integrate Magento with other systems, such as ShapeShift. As for Firebear ShapeShift for Magento 2, it is an open source extension that you can use for free.
The module offers the following features:
- The extension adds a new Magento 2 payment method, so the e-commerce platform provides the ability to use all altcoins supported by ShapeShift;
- No transaction fees are charged except native miner fees;
- There is no need to login or register since ShapeShift doesn’t require to create any accounts;
- A third-party cryptocurrency wallet is required to store altcoins - neither Firebear’s extension nor ShapeShift provide it;
- 100% free and open source - you pay only native miner fees.
So, how does the extension work? Firebear ShapeShift for Magento 2 doesn’t interrupt the standard shopping process. Add a product to cart, proceed to the checkout page, select the new payment method from the list of the available payment methods. Next, set a cryptocurrency that will be used for placing the order and specify return address, which is necessary for a further refund.